Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Type 3 Diabetes: Another Reason to Stop Eating Crap


Did you need another reason to stop eating crap? I can never have too many reasons.  I just file them away in a corner of my brain and pray that they will activate when temptation arises.  The more items in that corner, the better my activation chances.  So if you need more reasons for your corner, keep reading for a really good one.

Not a lot of things run in my family.  I mean, there's good looks, incredible wit, and, oh, wait, yea...Alzheimer's disease.  If you have ever known anyone with this disease, or if you have seen/read The Notebook, then you know what I'm talking about.  One of the scariest things about this disease is that doctors don't fully understand why it happens, which means that there's no clear way to prevent it. The Mayo Clinic says that not eating fruits/veggies, sedentary lifestyle, smoking, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol are all linked to Alzheimer's disease, and I have also heard that exposure to aluminum might be a factor.

Doctors now think that there is a link between diabetes and Alzheimer's disease - it's like diabetes of the brain, or type 3 diabetes.  Although they don't understand this relationship 100% yet, I will heed this warning because it makes sense to me, at least how Women's Health explains it here.

What to do if you're scared of losing all your hard-earned brain cells to this stupid disease? Stop eating crap.  More specifically, don't eat the stuff that contributes to diabetes: high fat and high sugar. I love fat and sugar...and salt.  Well, at least I can have my salt, am I right? No, I know, excess salt contributes to high blood pressure, which is linked to Alzheimer's disease.  Thanks, logic, for killing that little bit of happiness. This year, I think I'll just stick with the "everything in moderation" mantra, and actually try to mean it, because what we are talking about here is sugar and fat in excess

Oh, and if you're interested in avoiding aluminum like I do, start with your deodorant.  Those things are chemical bombs waiting to explode on your pits.  I've tried a lot of different ones and I like this one the best (you can get it at Whole Foods).  Also, check out this video by the Sexy Vegan, who does a review of different pit colognes. It's both funny and informative!




No comments:

Post a Comment